English: hill cardamom, greater cardamom, winged cardamom, brown cardamom
Sanskrit: aindri, bahula, tridivodbhava, triputa
Hindi: बड़ी इलायची Badi ilaichi, Elabary
Black Cardamom Black Cardamom is an evergreen plant found in the forest area at the high altitude of 500 to 2000m, that grows up to 5 ft tall. Leaves are long, sword-shaped, arranged oppositely, 50 cm long, and 3 cm wide with a sword-like smooth green, on the upper portion of the stem. Flower buds appear in the base of the rhizome. Its seeds contained in a pod have a strong camphor-like flavor, which is used as a spice like green cardamom pods.
Useful plant parts:
Digestive disorders such as indigestion, astringent, antibilious, and antiemetic flatulence stomach disorders, malaria, and kidney stones
In Ayurveda, Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi) is valued for its medicinal properties:
1. Digestive Aid: Eases indigestion, bloating, and flatulence.
2. Respiratory Support: Helps with coughs and colds.
3. Detoxification: Assists in eliminating toxins.
4. Oral Health: Aids in gum and dental issues.
5. Anti-inflammatory: Alleviates joint pain and inflammation.
6. Diuretic: Promotes healthy urine flow.
7. Aphrodisiac: Enhances sexual health.
8. Relieves Nausea: Useful for alleviating nausea and vomiting.
Consult an Ayurvedic expert for appropriate usage and dosages.
α-pinene, β-pinene α-terpineol and terpinen, Spathulenol.
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.