Yashtimadhu oil, also known as Licorice oil, is an Ayurvedic herbal oil prepared using Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) as the primary ingredient. Here’s a detailed description:
- Yashtimadhu (Licorice): This herb is known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and soothing properties. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic formulations for its skin benefits.
- Sesame oil or coconut oil is often used as the base oil for preparing Yashtimadhu oil. These oils are chosen for their nourishing and hydrating properties.
- The root of Yashtimadhu is processed with the chosen base oil through a specific Ayurvedic procedure, often involving heating and infusion.
- Skin Conditions: Yashtimadhu oil is renowned for its ability to soothe various skin conditions. It is used in cases of itching, inflammation, eczema, psoriasis, and other dermatological issues.
- Anti-inflammatory: The oil’s active compounds help reduce inflammation and redness associated with skin disorders.
- Antimicrobial: It may have properties that inhibit the growth of certain harmful microorganisms on the skin.
- Moisturizing: The oil helps in keeping the skin hydrated, making it beneficial for dry and irritated skin.
- Wound Healing: It is used to promote wound healing and alleviate discomfort associated with minor cuts and abrasions.
- Sunburn Relief: Due to its soothing properties, it may offer relief from sunburns and other forms of skin irritation caused by sun exposure.
- Yashtimadhu oil is typically applied topically on the affected area. It’s advised to warm the oil slightly before application for better absorption.
- Although Yashtimadhu is generally considered safe for external use, it’s crucial to ensure that the oil is sourced from a reputable supplier to guarantee purity and quality.
Note: The information provided here is based on traditional uses and should not replace professional medical advice. Always consult a healthcare practitioner or Ayurvedic expert before incorporating Yashtimadhu oil into your healthcare regimen.
It is used in Nasya treatment – one of the Panchakarma therapy. It is prepared according to the reference of Bhaishajya Ratnavali.
Herbal plants and other ingredients used in the preparation of Yashtimadhu Oil
Click to find the details of the ingredients
Copy rights 2013-2024 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.