The scientific name of Wood apple: Limonia acidissima
Name of Wood apple in different languages:-
English: Elephant’s apple, Monkey fruit, Curd fruit
Sanskrit: Billa, Kapitha, Kapipriya, Dadhi
Hindi: Kaitha-कैथा, Kathbel, Kabeeth
Tamil: Vila-விளா, Vilam Palam
Malayalam: Vilankai-വിളാങ്കായ്, Blankmaram-ബ്ലാങ്കമരം, Vilathy-വിളാത്തി
It is a large tree growing up to 30 ft tall, branches rough and spiny. The leaves are small, pinnately arranged, with 5 to 7 leaflets, up to 35 mm long and 20 mm wide. The fruits are berries, up to 9 cm in diameter, and it is sweet or sour in taste, hard outer, and contain a sticky pulp inside, containing small, white seeds.
Useful plant parts:
To treat gastric disorders like constipation, peptic ulcer, diarrhea, dysentery, indigestion, cure piles, and respiratory problems.
Ayurveda Medicinal uses of Wood Apple
- Digestive Health:
- Wood Apple is considered an excellent digestive aid. It helps in relieving digestive disorders like constipation, indigestion, and flatulence.
- Stomach Disorders:
- It is used in the treatment of various stomach-related ailments, including diarrhea, dysentery, and peptic ulcers.
- Respiratory Health:
- Wood Apple is believed to have expectorant properties and is used to manage respiratory conditions like cough and bronchitis.
- Blood Purification:
- It is known to help purify the blood and can be beneficial for skin conditions that are related to impurities in the blood.
- Skin Disorders:
- The paste of Wood Apple leaves is applied topically to treat skin issues like eczema, boils, and insect bites.
- Antimicrobial Properties:
- Wood Apple possesses antimicrobial properties which may help in preventing or managing infections.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties:
- It is believed to have anti-inflammatory effects and may be used for conditions characterized by inflammation.
- Liver Health:
- Wood Apple is traditionally used to support liver function and may help in detoxifying this vital organ.
- Heart Health:
- Some traditional uses suggest that Wood Apple may have benefits for heart health, although scientific research is limited.
- Immunomodulatory Effects:
- It may have properties that support the immune system, although further research is needed to substantiate these claims.
- Antioxidant Properties:
- Wood Apple is believed to be rich in antioxidants, which can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Always consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare professional before using Wood Apple or any other herbal remedy. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific health condition and needs. It’s important to note that while Ayurvedic remedies have a long history of use, scientific evidence for their efficacy may vary, and some claims may require further research for validation.
Wood apple is used as an ingredient to prepare Ayurvedic medicines like: