English: Chickweed, Goatweed
Malayalam: വേനപ്പച്ച-Venappacha, നായ്ത്തുളസി, നീലപ്പീലി.
Chickweed or Goat weed is a fast-growing, which grows up to a height of over 2 ft, cool-season annual herb often grown in full sun to partial shade in fertile land, moist but well-drained soil. The plant grows to 0.3–1 m high, with oval or about triangular-shaped leaves 2–7 cm long; flowers are white sometimes seen in pink or purple. In folk medicine, leaf juice is used as a wound healer.
Useful plant parts:
White Weed, also known as Ageratum conyzoides, is used in Ayurvedic medicine for various purposes. However, it’s important to note that its use should be approached with caution, as some parts of the plant can be toxic. Here are some of the traditional Ayurvedic uses of White Weed:
1. Anti-inflammatory: Used to alleviate inflammation and related conditions.
2. Respiratory Health: Employed in remedies for respiratory issues like coughs and congestion.
3. Wound Healing: Its extracts are applied externally to aid wound healing.
4. Digestive Disorders: Believed to aid digestion and used for digestive issues.
5. Antimicrobial: It is believed to have properties that can help fight infections.
6. Fever Reduction: Used to lower fever, acting as an antipyretic.
7. Menstrual Disorders: Used in remedies for managing menstrual irregularities and associated discomfort.
8. Skin Health: Utilized in remedies for certain skin conditions, although caution is advised due to potential toxicity.
9. Nervine Tonic: Some formulations use it as a calming or strengthening agent for the nervous system.
10. Anti-parasitic: It is believed to have properties that can help combat certain parasites.
Always consult a qualified healthcare professional before using White Weed or any herbal remedy. It’s crucial to use it under the guidance of a knowledgeable practitioner, as some parts of the plant can be toxic if not used properly.
How to prepare medicines:
To cure wounds – leaf juice is applied on fresh cuts or wounds, The Ingredient in Vathathaila
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.