English: Indian Mangrove
Sanskrit: Sagarodurga, तिमिरः Timirah
Malayalam: ഒറയി Orayi Uri, ഉപ്പട്ടി Uppatti, Vella Kandal
Tamil: வெண்கண்டல் Venkantal
White Mangrove is an evergreen tree, that grows up to 25 m, and with a trunk up to 1 m in diameter, upright, Bark brownish- gray, leaves are arranged oppositely, obovate or broadly oblong, rounded at the tip, size 4 to 12 cm long, and 2 to 6 cm wide, base acute or rounded, thick, leathery, upper surface is shiny green, underneath gray-green, hairy and resin dots. Flowers are many 2 to 12 together, stalkless, up to 10 mm long, bell-shaped, tubular, yellow-brown with 4 spreading petals. Fruits are flattened, Capsule, broadly ovoid, up to 2.5 cm long. Seed single, large, germinating in water.The roots rise above the soil from long shallow, and horizontal.
Useful plant parts:
Leaf, bark, Root, Fruit, and seeds.
To treat Asthma, diarrhea, dysentery.
White Mangrove, scientifically known as Avicennia marina, is a coastal plant with several traditional uses in Ayurvedic medicine:
1. Digestive Disorders: It’s employed to treat digestive issues like indigestion and flatulence.
2. Respiratory Health: Used for respiratory conditions such as coughs and bronchitis.
3. Wound Healing: Its extracts are applied externally to aid wound healing.
4. Anti-inflammatory: Believed to have anti-inflammatory properties, it’s used for conditions involving inflammation.
5. Skin Disorders: Utilized in remedies for certain skin conditions, although caution is advised due to potential toxicity.
6. Antimicrobial: It’s believed to have properties that can combat infections.
7. Nervine Tonic: Some formulations use it as a calming or strengthening agent for the nervous system.
8. Fever Reduction: Used to lower fever, acting as an antipyretic.
9. Gastrointestinal Health: This may help with various gastrointestinal disorders.
Always consult a qualified healthcare professional before using White Mangrove or any herbal remedy.
Astraigent, Contracetive, anddiuretic.
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.