Scientific name of Malabar Catmint: Anisomeles malabarica / Anisomeles salviifolia
Name of Malabar Catmint in different languages:-
English: Catmint, Malabarica
Sanskrit: Sprikka, Mahadronah-महाद्रोण, Vaikunthah-वैकुंठ
Hindi: Gopoli, Codhara
Malayalam: Perumtumpa-പെരുംതുമ്പ, Karimtumba-കരിംതുമ്പ
Malabar Catmint is a perennial shrub, found all over India, grows as a weed, and grows up to 2 m tall. Branches are many, hairy, and somewhat sub-quadrangular. Leaves are velvety, ovate to oblong, rounded at base, acute at apex, size up to 8 cm long and 3 cm broad, Inflorescence is a single terminal spike, up to 1.8 cm long, flower is lilac to pale blue, found throughout the year.
Useful plant parts:
To treat various infectious diseases, as a wound healer, carminative, anorexia, swelling, rheumatism, astringent, febrifuge, and fevers the whole plant is used as a tonic.
Anti-bacterial, Anti-allergic, alkaloids, tannins, saponins, flavonoids, glycosides.
Ayurveda medicinal uses of Malabar Catmint
Here are some of its potential Ayurvedic medicinal applications:
- Digestive Health: Malabar Catmint is believed to aid digestion and may be used to alleviate digestive disorders like indigestion, flatulence, and bloating.
- Respiratory Support: It is used in cases of respiratory issues like coughs and colds, where it is believed to help clear congestion and soothe the respiratory tract.
- Antimicrobial Properties: Malabar Catmint is thought to have antimicrobial properties and may be used to address certain infections.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: It is believed to have anti-inflammatory effects, potentially benefiting conditions characterized by inflammation.
- Wound Healing: It may be applied topically to assist in the healing of wounds and injuries.
- Fever Management: It is believed to have properties that may help in reducing fever.
- Relief from Respiratory Disorders: It may be used to alleviate symptoms of respiratory disorders like asthma and bronchitis.
- Mouth and Throat Health: It may be used for oral hygiene and to soothe sore throats.
- Antioxidant Effects: It is believed to have antioxidant properties, which can help protect cells from oxidative damage.
- Urinary Disorders: Malabar Catmint is used in cases of urinary disorders and may help in maintaining urinary tract health.
- Skin Conditions: It may be applied topically or taken internally for certain skin conditions.
- Stress and Anxiety: It is believed to have calming effects on the nervous system and may be used for stress relief.
It is used as an ingredient to prepare the Ayurveda medicines like: