English: Kans grass, Thatch grass, Wild sugar cane
Sanskrit: Kasa – Kasha
Hindi: कांस Kaans
It is mostly seen in the Western Ghat area, It is a perennial grass, that grows up to 3 meters and spreads over rhizomatous roots. Leaves are long rough and lengths up to 1 meter and widths of up to 15 mm. Inflorescence is white, with soft hair and erect, which measures up to 30 cm long.
Useful plant parts: Whole plant, Root
To treat Kidney stones, dyspepsia, piles, sexual weakness, gynecological disorders, respiratory problems, burning sensation, etc.
Kans grass (Saccharum spontaneum), known as “Kasa” or “Kansara” in Ayurveda, has several medicinal uses:
1. Digestive Disorders: It is used to treat digestive disorders like dysentery, diarrhea, and indigestion.
2. Respiratory Conditions: Kans grass is employed in respiratory conditions such as cough, bronchitis, and asthma.
3. Anti-inflammatory: It possesses anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to alleviate inflammation.
4. Urinary Disorders: It is beneficial in treating urinary disorders like urinary tract infections.
5. Wound Healing: Kans grass has wound-healing properties and can be used topically for injuries and wounds.
6. Fever: It is used in fevers to reduce body temperature.
7. Skin Disorders: It can be applied externally for skin conditions like eczema and itching.
8. Diuretic: It acts as a diuretic, aiding in flushing out toxins from the body.
9. Antioxidant: The grass is rich in antioxidants, which help in scavenging harmful free radicals.
10. Anti-microbial: It possesses antimicrobial properties, making it useful against various pathogens.
11. Anti-diabetic: It may help in managing diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
12. Pain Relief: It can be used to alleviate pain, especially in conditions like arthritis.
13. Liver Disorders: Kans grass is believed to support liver health and function.
14. Hemorrhoids: It can be used to manage hemorrhoids due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
15. Anti-cancer Properties: Some studies suggest that it may have the potential to inhibit certain cancer cell growth.
16. Nervine Tonic: It is considered a nervine tonic, which means it supports the nervous system.
17. Anti-spasmodic: It may help in relieving spasms and cramps.
18. Menstrual Disorders: In some cases, it may be used to regulate menstrual cycles and alleviate related discomfort.
Always consult a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare professional before using Kans grass or any other herb for medicinal purposes. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific health condition and needs.
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.