Scientific name of East Indian Arrowroot: Curcuma Angustifolia
Name of East Indian Arrowroot in different languages:
Sanskrit: Tavakshiri, Payahkshir, Yavaj, Gavayodbhav, Vanshya, Vanashakshiri, Palashagandha, Parthivi
Malayalam: Koova കൂവ
Useful plant parts of East Indian Arrowroot: Rhizome
Arrowroot – Curcuma Angustifolia is a perennial herb, that grows up to 1 – 1.5 M in height. Leaves are simple, green, and lanceolate, with margins 36 to 37 cm in length and 8 to 10 cm in width, flowers are pink and funnel-shaped, flowering begins from July to August, and seeds are reddish-brown in color. Roots are tuberous (rhizome) which is a useful part of the plant.
To treat indigestion, dysentery, burning sensation while urinating, and bladder stone.
Ayurveda medicinal uses of East Indian Arrowroot
- Digestive Aid: It is used to soothe digestive issues like diarrhea, indigestion, and dysentery due to its binding and cooling properties.
- Rehydration: Arrowroot is considered a valuable remedy for rehydrating the body during illnesses that lead to fluid loss.
- Anti-Inflammatory: It is used to alleviate inflammation, making it beneficial for conditions like arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Skin Conditions: It is applied externally to soothe skin irritations, rashes, and burns.
- Fever Management: Arrowroot is believed to help reduce fever and associated symptoms.
- Nutritious and Easily Digestible: It is considered easily digestible and is sometimes used as a dietary supplement for individuals with digestive sensitivities or during recovery from illnesses.
- Weight Management: It may be included in dietary plans for those aiming to manage or reduce their weight.
- Nutrition for Infants: Arrowroot powder is sometimes used as a weaning food for infants due to its mild flavor and ease of digestion.
- Vaginal Infections: It is utilized in some Ayurvedic formulations for managing vaginal infections and discomfort.
- General Tonic: It is considered a tonic for overall health and well-being.
How to prepare medicines: Used in many health increase mixtures
East Indian Arrowroot is one of the ingredients in Ayurveda medicines like-