English: Leafless East-Indian Vine, Soma lata
Sanskrit: सोमलता Somlata, सोमवल्ली Somavalli
Hindi: सोमा Soma, सोमलता Somlata
Tamil: : Kodikkalli, Somamum
Climbing milkweed is a climber vine; leafless stems grow up to 2 m long, green or gray, hairless. The flower is found in axils, 6 to 15 pale yellow-flowered, on 3 to 5 mm long stalks borne at branch apex, petals ovate-oblong or oblong-lance-shaped, hairless, flowers occur in March-November. Seeds are pods, lance-shaped in outline about 15 cm long and 1 cm, the seeds are ovate, about 3mm and 2 mm.
Useful plant parts: Roots, stem, bark
Climbing Milkweed, scientifically known as Cynanchum vincetoxicum, has been traditionally used in various cultures for its potential medicinal properties. Here are some of its reported uses:
1. Respiratory Health: Some preparations of Climbing Milkweed have been used to alleviate respiratory issues, such as coughs and bronchitis.
2. Digestive Aid: It may be used to soothe digestive discomfort and aid in digestive processes.
3. Anti-inflammatory Properties: It is believed to possess anti-inflammatory effects, which may help manage inflammation-related conditions.
4. Wound Healing: In some cultures, Climbing Milkweed has been used topically to facilitate wound healing.
5. Pain Relief: It may have analgesic properties, making it potentially useful for alleviating pain.
6. Fever Reducer: In traditional medicine, it has been used to help reduce fever.
7. Detoxification: Some believe that Climbing Milkweed may aid in detoxifying the body.
8. Potential Antimicrobial Properties: There is some research suggesting that certain compounds in Climbing Milkweed may have antimicrobial effects.
It’s important to note that while there is traditional knowledge of these uses, scientific research on the medicinal properties of Climbing Milkweed is limited, and it’s crucial to consult a healthcare professional before using it for any medicinal purposes. Additionally, dosages and preparation methods should be approached with caution, as they may vary and should be guided by an expert.
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.