English: Climbing flax, Muskweed
Sanscrit: Kamsamara, Kamsamarah
Malayalam: Karkotti- കാർക്കോട്ടി Kartotti, Motirakkanni-മോതിരക്കണ്ണി
Climbing flax is a climbing shrub. Leaves alternately arranged, tapering at base, obtuse at apex, sized to 3 to 8 cm long and 1 to 3.5 cm broad, petioles 4 mm long and hairy, with branches yellow, horizontal with leaflets towards base. Flowering is April to July and fruiting is August to October. Seeds are globe-shaped drupe and orange to red when ripe.
Useful plant parts:
Whole plant, seeds, root
Hugonia mystax is a plant native to various regions, including parts of Asia and Africa. In traditional medicine, several parts of the Hugonia mystax plant have been used for their potential medicinal properties.
1. Antimicrobial Properties: The plant is believed to have antimicrobial properties, which could make it useful in treating various infections.
2. Anti-inflammatory Effects: Some traditional remedies use Hugonia syntax for its anti-inflammatory effects, which could be beneficial in managing conditions involving inflammation.
3. Digestive Aid: Certain preparations of Hugonia mystax may be used to aid digestion and soothe digestive discomfort.
4. Wound Healing: In some cultures, it has been used topically on wounds to facilitate healing.
5. Anti-diarrheal Properties: It may have properties that help in managing diarrhea.
6. Fever Reduction: In traditional medicine, it has been used to help reduce fever.
7. Anti-diabetic Potential: Some studies suggest that certain compounds in Hugonia mystax may have anti-diabetic effects.
8. Pain Relief: It may be used traditionally for its analgesic properties, helping to alleviate pain.
Please note that while there is traditional knowledge of these uses, scientific research on the medicinal properties of Hugonia mystax is limited, and it’s important to consult a healthcare professional before using it for any medicinal purposes. Additionally, dosages and preparation methods should be approached with caution, as they may vary and should be guided by an expert.
Astringent, anthelmintic, bitter, febrifuge and sweet
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.