English: Rosery nut, Utrasum bead tree, Blue Marble Tree
Sanskrit: Rudraksha, Neelakandaksha, Sivapriya, Bhootanasana
Hindi: Rudarki, Rudraks, Utrassam
Malayalam: Rudraksham- രുദ്രാക്ഷം
Bead tree is an evergreen large tree, fast growing, spreading, and grow up to 35 m tall, commonly found in North-East of India, in rain forest areas, the leaves are dark green above, arranged alternately, oblong-elliptical leaves, size to 10 to 18 cm long, toothed margins.
Flowers are bell-shaped, greenish or white, with 5 petals, in numerous racemes borne along branches. The fruits are berries metallic blue in color and 3 cm in diameter and single seed contains in the fruit which is hard as stones and believe that it has a magical power, it is believed that wearing of seeds bring a supernatural power.
Useful plant parts:
To treat hypertension, heart and liver problems, headaches, high blood pressure, fever, asthma, jaundice etc. Wear the seed is as an ornament can improving the blood circulation in the body.
The Bead Tree, scientifically known as Melia azedarach, is known as “Bakayan” in Ayurveda. It is valued for its various therapeutic properties:
1. Anti-Inflammatory: Bakayan is used to reduce inflammation, making it beneficial for conditions like arthritis.
2. Antipyretic: It is traditionally employed to lower fever.
3. Purgative: Bakayan is used as a mild laxative to relieve constipation.
4. Anti-Parasitic: It is known for its anthelmintic properties, helping to expel intestinal worms.
5. Skin Disorders: Bakayan is applied topically for skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis due to its antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
6. Wound Healing: Its leaves are used externally to accelerate wound healing.
7. Respiratory Health: Bakayan is utilized for respiratory issues such as cough and bronchitis.
8. Antimicrobial: It exhibits antimicrobial properties, aiding in preventing and managing infections.
9. Rheumatism: Bakayan is used to alleviate symptoms of rheumatism.
10. Insecticidal: It is employed in Ayurvedic formulations as a natural insecticide.
While Bakayan has been traditionally used in Ayurveda, individual results may vary. It is advisable to consult a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner or healthcare professional before using Bakayan or any other herbal remedy for specific health concerns.
Tannins, trimethoxy geranin, indolizine alkaloids, flavonoids.
Copy rights 2013-2023 Medicinal Plants India : All rights reserved.