Ardraka Ghritam, also known as Ardarakam Ghritam, is indeed an Ayurvedic medicinal preparation. In Ayurveda, Ghritam refers to medicated ghee, which is clarified butter infused with various medicinal herbs and ingredients. “Ardraka” in Sanskrit refers to ginger, which is a well-known herb with various health benefits.
Ardraka Ghritam is primarily formulated using ginger along with other herbal ingredients. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has been valued in Ayurveda for its digestive, anti-inflammatory, and immune-boosting properties. Ardraka Ghritam is commonly used for conditions related to digestion, respiratory health, and immunity. It is believed to help with ailments such as indigestion, cold, cough, and respiratory congestion.
Common uses and benefits of Ardraka Ghritam
- Digestive Aid: It aids in digestion, improves appetite, and helps in the absorption of nutrients, making it beneficial for gastrointestinal health.
- Respiratory Health: Ardraka Ghritam can help manage respiratory conditions like cough, cold, and congestion due to its expectorant properties.
- Immune Booster: Ginger is known for its immunomodulatory effects, which can help enhance the body’s natural defense mechanisms.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: The ginger in Ardraka Ghritam possesses anti-inflammatory properties, which can be helpful for conditions involving inflammation.
- Antioxidant-rich: It contains antioxidants that help combat free radicals, supporting overall health and wellness.
- Nervine Tonic: It has a calming effect on the nervous system and can be used to alleviate stress and anxiety.
- Cardiovascular Health: Some studies suggest that ginger may have positive effects on heart health, potentially lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Anti-nausea: It may help alleviate nausea and vomiting, making it useful for individuals experiencing motion sickness or morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Analgesic Properties: It may have mild pain-relieving properties, which can be beneficial for minor aches and pains.
- Menstrual Disorders: It may help alleviate menstrual cramps and discomfort.
- Anti-microbial Properties: Ginger has natural antimicrobial properties, which can help in fighting off infections.
- Detoxification: It aids in detoxifying the body by promoting the elimination of toxins and waste products.
It is mainly used in the preparatory procedure for Snehakarma of Panchakarma, which is used in the treatment of indigestion, chronic diarrhea, gastritis, etc. It calms Vata and Pitta.
The main ingredient is Ardraka- Wet ginger
Medicinal plants and other Ingredients used in the preparation of Ardraka Ghritam
Click to find the details of the ingredients